maanantai 23. huhtikuuta 2012

Objective or not

Exam weeks are officially over, for now. After getting the exams back some students weren't so happy about their results. I don't know was it only because of the disappointment, but they started to think that teachers might be partial. Like if you have been very active, the teacher will pay more attention to your essay than the one who has been passive. Of course activity will be counted in the final grade, but already in the exam grade? I don't think so. It's hard to imagine that the teacher would change his or her approach when reading the name on the paper. I believe that teachers do have favorites, but they don't give them any releases, hopefully. So what's your opinion, are teachers objective, even here in Finland?

3 kommenttia:

  1. What a good question! As a teacher, of course I (and all my colleagues) strive to be impartial and fair in my student evaluations. Sometimes, though, I wonder if, maybe subconsciously, I am biased. Teachers work hard not to be, but we are human, too. I do hope, most of the time, we manage to be objective!

    VastaaPoista
  2. Really interesting question. I can say that sometimes I feel like that, not very often but sometimes. Especially when the exam week didn't go as well as I hoped. But like you I also think that teaches know better than us what grades we have earned from our exams and don't evaluate the papers by the name on it.

    VastaaPoista
  3. In my opinion there are teachers who has their favorite students but I also think that the ''favorite students'' has earned to be in a good light because they have been working so hard that teachers has noticed it and wants to reward them someway. But I hope that if you've been passive student it doesn't impact to your exam grade only to your final grade . But in the end I don't know how it really is because I am not a teacher.

    VastaaPoista